Custom Artificial Eyes and Hand-Painted Prosthetic Eyes
There are so many reasons you might be exploring options for an artificial eye or custom prosthetic eye today, but there is one thing all those reasons have in common. You or a loved one have experienced a deeply personal trauma. That trauma is a physical, emotional, and psychological reality, even if your eye loss happened many years ago. In one sense, no one understands what you are going through or feeling right now — but that does not mean you are alone.
Whether your story behind losing an eye is the result of a long and painful process or something you suddenly need to navigate with little or no warning, we want you to know that everyone working at Carolina Eye Prosthetics is sorry for your loss and your suffering. And, we also have some good news: you don’t have to live without an eye, or with an eye that doesn’t fit. Your life, health, confidence, and much more really will be substantially better with the right prosthetic eye.
Our team has helped thousands of patients and parents of little ones navigate the difficult decisions in front of you — and celebrated the joy that they find with a new eye that is perfectly made for them. Read about the differences between stock artificial eyes that other ocularists use and the hand-painted, custom prosthetic eye options we have for you. Explore what to expect with us during a custom eye prosthesis appointment. Then, send Brittney a note so she can schedule a free 20-30 minute consultation with key members of our team to answer your questions and help you understand what’s possible.
How is a Custom Artificial Eye Different than a Stock Prosthetic Eye?
Differences in Fit
The chances that a stock prosthetic eye will fit the unique contours of your eye socket are almost precisely zero. This will almost certainly lead to some level of persistent discomfort and could even do long-term damage to the tissue in your eye socket.
By contrast, our team at Carolina Eye Prosthetics uses what is known as a modified impression technique to produce an artificial eye that is perfectly shaped for your body. Even among ocularists, this process is not particularly common because it is labor-intensive and requires a high degree of specialized training and skill. We know the end result is worth it, though, because the size, shape, and contours all match the precise dimensions of your eye socket. We believe you cannot find a more comfortable prosthetic eye solution.
Difference in Appearance
Because they are mass-produced, the physical appearance of a stock artificial eye will never match your other eye perfectly and often the differences are quite noticeable to others at a glance. That is because the shape of your iris, the overall size of your eye, and the colors of each part are absolutely and uniquely yours.
That is why our team hand-paints each and every custom prosthetic eye we craft for our patients. When you or someone else sees the level of precision in detail we can achieve, it is often a surprise. Here is a great, close-up example:
Why Our Patients Love Their New Eyes from CEP
- Since the artificial eyes we create are so detailed and specifically made to match your other eye (or a unique design request you have!) they know they look great.
- Almost all of our patients immediately find a new level of comfort and confidence in their appearance.
- With us, the process for fitting and creating your eye is personal — and enjoyable!
- Unlike other ocularists, we provide a patient-centric experience. This is about you: your health, your eye, your comfort, and your confidence — not our ego or even our dedication to finely crafted work — which we take very seriously! That kind of posture means we often learn from and with our patients. Because we embrace a perpetual growth-mindset, we listen carefully and compassionately, and do better work. All of this translates into a deep experience of patient satisfaction.
What to Expect During Your Appointment
So, what does that personal, enjoyable process look like at Carolina Eye Prosthetics?
- You should expect a relaxed, warm, empathetic visit with our team. We are going to make you our priority and give you or your child the best care possible.
- The fitting, creation, and customization of your new eye will all happen in the same day! This is a profoundly important decision and investment in your life, but that does not mean you need to put the rest of your life on hold.
- If you are an out-of-town patient traveling more than 100 miles to our office in Burlington, NC, we would like to reserve and pay for some comfortable hotel accommodations right around the corner from our location. We want you to feel rested and stress-free for your appointment.
- During your appointment, one of our ocularists will spend time listening to your story and any concerns. We will make sure any questions you still have are answered.
- The actual process for making your new eye has three phases:
- Taking an impression
- Hand-painting, customizing, and polishing your eye
- We also love to offer our patients something you cannot put a price tag on — some help finding ways to talk to others about your new eye. For children who are just learning how to understand and adapt to life with an artificial eye, it can be very intimidating to know how to talk about their eye with their friends or other family members. We know their eye isn’t something they need to be shy or ashamed about and it is so rewarding to help them begin to believe that, too!
Many of our adult patients never had much help learning how to do this either. The physical transformation of finally having an eye that looks and feels great is wonderful — but the joy and healing that many of our patients find when we walk them through ways to talk with others about their eye and appearance are truly life-changing. Wherever you are in this process, we would be honored to help you learn some new ways to talk with others — and yourself — about your beautiful, new prosthetic eye.
Schedule a Consultation with Our Team Today
Go ahead and take the next step in starting the conversation with our team now. When you click the Contact Us button below, Brittney will give you a very quick phone call to find a time that works well for you to have a 20-30 minute no-cost, no-obligation consultation with our team. If you would like to meet in person, we would love to welcome you to our office or you can schedule a video appointment online now.